Friday, February 1, 2013

Haiku: Staff

Groundhog Day is celebrated on February 2nd:  If the groundhog sees his shadow, it's 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't, Spring comes early, so goes the tale. Will the groundhog see his shadow? Will Winter continue? Or is Spring around the corner? No matter what your groundhog sees tomorrow, I've included a haiku set for each case...


staff in hand
early morning walk
cloudy sky

groundhog peeks
no shadow he sees
Springtime stirs

----------------------

staff in hand
early morning walk
sunny sky

groundhog peeks
his shadow frightens
Spring away

groundhog

11 comments:

  1. no matter whether he sees his shadow, I know that in Indiana we'll have at least 6 more weeks of winter, probably more! nevertheless, I like your haikus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shift of perspective in the seconding pairing of haiku! Subtle, beautiful and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no.....please don't chase spring away! I hope it is cloudy tomorrow. Clouds - no shadow! Lovely set telling the tale of the groundhog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ground hog + staff of life = sausage sandwich.

    Nice haiku, and timely.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that Jazzbumpa: always thinking of what he's going to eat next!

      Delete
  5. I need, sometimes, to remind myself that Haiku can, and does, take many forms. Yours are an expression of a form that differs from what I normally do; it is excellent stuff, nonetheless.

    Thank you for bringing your brand of Haiku to Haiku Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy to read these sets of haiku. I hope the ground hog doesn't see his shadow ... than Spring will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both takes on prompt. Groundhog Day is new to me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, though no groundhogs here in Sweden. Today the first day of using my skates on a nearby lake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. unique and fun....you reminded me of the date....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely... I'm tired of winter already, hail to spring. ;-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete

Praise, constructive criticism, and discussions welcome. Pure negativity and rudeness will not be approved or tolerated.